NEVER Use Flammable Liquid To Start A Woodstove - Nov. 11, 2012
The Maine State Fire Marshal's Office is advising homeowners never to use a flammable liquid to start a woodstove.
This advisory follows a fire in Augusta Saturday morning that seriously burned the homeowner who used gasoline to start a woodstove inside the porch of his home near the Augusta-Belgrade line.
Authorities said 38-year-old Michael O'Leary is being treated at Maine Medical Center in Portland for serious burns.
His wife, 36- year-old Amanda O'Leary was treated and released from MaineGeneral in Augusta for smoke inhalation. The family dog died in the fire.
State Fire Marshal Joe Thomas said, "Homeowners should never a flammable liquid to start a wood stove fire because the vapors are explosive and cause a fireball. Only paper and kindling should be used to start a wood stove."
The ranch style home sustained heavy smoke and heat damage.